Sunday, October 9, 2016

The IBLCE

While I was pregnant with Aidy I thought I might want to be a lactation consultant. After she was born and I experienced breastfeeding issues with my 4th child I new that becoming an IBCLC was my calling!

I returned to school in 2014 and spent the next year completing 3-4 classes per quarter in order to satisfy all of my prerequisite requirements to qualify for the LC program at UCSD. In the fall of 2015 I entered the UCSD hybrid lactation program. Over the next 8 months I had the opportunity to intern with 2 very special IBCLCs, Kristina Chamberlain and Emily Lade, and complete 300 clinical hours plus 90 hours of lactation course work. The time with these wonderful ladies was invaluable! They not only shared their knowledge of breastfeeding but also their love of caring for mothers and babies.

After completion of the UCSD lactation program I had 5 "down" months until I could sit for the IBLCE. I took a break for a bit so that I could breathe and then began the task of studying all of the information that I had previously learned and focusing on what I thought would be on the test.

The day finally arrived on October 3rd 2016! I will not receive my results until December but I am confident that I did well.
I arrived home from my exam to find flowers, chocolates, and a blue Tiffany's box on the table. Matt bought me a gorgeous pair of amethyst earrings which I love!
That evening we enjoyed an indescribable dinner at The Barking Frog. Matt knew how hard I have worked to achieve this dream and he felt that I deserved a special night.
Thank you to my sweetheart!!

Salted caramel hot chocolate makes studying so much easier

I was so relieved to be done with my test




No comments:

Post a Comment