Friday, July 30, 2010

Pacific City, OR 2010



































































We packed up the car and headed south to the OR coast for an entire week of fun with the family. I plugged the address into the GPS and the 6 hour drive seemed like it would take forever but I knew that the drive time would be worth it. Little did I know....the drive would really take 8 hours! We left around 12:30pm and arrived at the beach house around 8:30pm.
There were many points during the drive when Griffen would ask how much longer we had and all I could do was sweetly reply an estimated amount of time. He kept busy with movies and the leapster, thank goodness we packed them.
We had a fun filled week at the beach with Grandma and Papa along with aunts, uncles, and cousins. The kids never seemed to be bored and were entertained for hours playing in the sand.
I learned that when someone says "beach" it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be 75+ degrees, sunny, and swimsuit worthy. It was sunny for the most part but the wind kept the temp down and we wore our sweatshirts quite often.
There was a huge sand dune that was quite the challenge for me. We all hiked up but I didn't know if I would ever reach the top. Thanks to the kids yelling "you can do it auntie Shannon" I was successful! The view from the top was beautiful. We could see all of Pacific City. Going down the sand dune was much easier than going up!
One of the mornings when the tide was out we made our way down the beach to the tide pools. The kids had so much fun discovering all of the different sea creatures. The hermit crabs seemed to peak everyones interest along with the multiple starfish that were found. I guess you're not supposed to take the starfish with you because there were a few people that approached the kids to tell them that they needed to put them back in the water.....we had already taken care of this.
Grandma was prepared with multiple games and projects for all of the grandkids to keep them entertained. The cousins play pretty well together although we had some issues with sharing. I was so proud of Griffen to set a good example by sharing his leapster with his cousins. Learning to share is a work in progress for everyone.
The vacation at the beach was a success with plenty of relaxing, food, book reading, naps, and socializing. Although I don't look forward to the drive again, I do look forward to spending many more vacations with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment